In 1999, two Presentation Sisters moved into a neighborhood in Watts and asked the residents what services they felt they needed. The neighbors shared their hopes to learn English, computer skills, and become US citizens.
Presentation Sisters Learning Center opened in 2000. Create a caring community where adults, many of whom are immigrants transitioning into a new culture, can increase literacy, prepare for employment or advance to better jobs, promote communication within the family, improve family health-care, promote self-esteem and contribute to the church and their civic community. offering classes in English, U.S. History and citizenship preparation, computer skills, G.E.D. preparation, zumba, tai-chi, parenting skills, nutrition, crafts and sewing, prayer, and scripture. Providing babysitting while parents attend class is an important service offered by our program.
Now in its sixteenth year, the Presentation Sisters Learning Center boasts some 1500 U.S. citizens, and hundreds of adults who have completed various levels of study. Students model the fashions they create in our sewing classes at our annual fashion show.
Presentation Sisters Learning Center is much more than just an adult learning center. It is a welcoming community that reaches out across the boundaries of language, race, and socio-economic status, welcoming the immigrant, empowering the powerless and bringing those on the margins and center together.
Funds are Needed
• 14 Desktop and Monitor Bundles @ $500 each, $10,000 total
• 20 Laptops, (14 for class use, 6 reserved for GED) @ $500 each, $7000 total
• Microsoft Programs @ $75 each, 34 devices → $2,550 total
• 10 tablets for teacher use @ $200 each, $2000 total
• 7 Wireless Projector for Each Classroom @ $650 each, $4,550
• Installation of Projectors @ $300-500 estimated
• Updated Business Wifi @ $840/year @
• 210 Textbooks for ESL and GED @ about $25 each, $5,250 total
• 120 Workbooks @ about $25 each, $3,000
Immediate Charitable Response
Empower and liberate the poor, especially through education.